Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Thanks, Mrs. Beck!!

someonespecial
Hey everyone!!  Today’s card was a true joy to make.  Jake’s kindergarten teacher retires at the end of the month and it’s the district’s retirement dinner tonight.  I’ll be attending as I know a few other teachers retiring.  Not only did I have the privilege of this wonderful woman introducing my son to the school system, but I also got to work with her at my last school for 5 years.  We transferred there the same year.  What I love about Mrs. Beck is that she lets kids be kids.  She runs a tight ship, works endless hours and advocates for her kids no matter what.  She let Jake play with blocks and trains.  Yes, he had to try the other activities, but she let him play.  I like to credit her for encouraging the builder in him.  And now he’s in Engineering at university.  This was him in kindergarten :)  He was only 4 when he started because his birthday is in November.  Aw, my baby!!
scan0001
I had been thinking about what to do for the card.  I wanted to make it special and what better way than to add a picture!! So I dug out Jake’s old kindergarten photo, scanned it and printed it out in grayscale.  He’s the little one in the bottom left hand corner :)  Inside I typed out a sweet poem a mom had written in a scrapbook she made for me a long time ago.  It reads..

I bet you’ve tied a million shoes

and dried a million tears

and given out a million hugs

as a teacher through the years.

In my child’s life, the role you’ve played

has been a priceless part

and you must know the special place

you hold in my child’s heart.

I tear up every time I read this :D  Anyways, I think she’ll like this and I hope she knows what a difference she’s made in so many children’s lives.  Thanks, Mrs. Beck!!
signature

what’s in it?

stamps: verve forever in our hearts

ink: versafine onyx

paper: pti aqua, cream, su sahara sand, little yellow bicycle notepaper, october afternoon schoolhouse

accessories: pti notepage die, pti button, twine and ribbon, clothespin, scanned photo

8 comments:

Marisa said...

Love this Maureen! Great idea for the grey scale picture and lvoe the note book paper in the BG. I'm sure she will tear up when she gets it! And the picture of Jake is beyond adorable!!

Aimes said...

Now that's how you personalise a card! What a great idea, Diva! And what a fitting sentiment too (I'm trying hard not to well up over that poem but it speaks loudly to me :D)
Hugs!
Aimes
x

KimCreate said...

Lovely card for a retiring teacher.
Hey, got my Papercraft Mag. the other day. Happy to see you published in there!
Kim

Arlene said...

This is a really great card...what a great idea. She will truly treasure this card. Love it.

Arlene.
http://waterdots.blogspot.com/

Lynn said...

Oh Moe...I'm sure tonight will be a night filled with lots of smiles mixed in with lots of tears too. What an absolutely wonderful tribute to Mrs. Beck. I am sure she will absolutely cherish your card!

TannyP said...

WOW! That's an incredible card for a woman that sounds amazing! Fantastic way to honour her. The card is a true beauty (love that sweet clip!) and I bet it's the one she'll really tear up over!

Jen Cuthbertson said...

I've always loved how you incorporate photos on your cards and this is brilliant! You are such an inspiration!!

Janelle said...

What a beutiful card for Jake's retiring kindergarten teacher! It sounds like she was a fabulous teacher -- I bet she cried buckets over the card. But I hope she enjoys her retirement to the utmost, too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...